Heavy on Fashion talks to Lily and Eve

Hello all my fashion divas and gurus! I am so happy to interview another great company, Lily and Eve!  Lily and Eve was started by three sisters Maria, Mia and Tanya. Lily and Eve is an ode to their grandmothers, Lily and Eve and their upbring in the Southern Philippines.  I love the vibrant colors and fabulous mission behind the brand, which is to bring women together and bring them back to their roots of diverse origins.

I also love that they are fellow Jersey Shore girls. 

So without Further Ado, Here is Heavy on Fashion talks to Lily and Eve






Tell me a little about yourself. Where are you from? What's your educational background? 

I was born in the Philippines but raised in Jersey, exit 9 - I see you're from The Shore! I actually have a degree in Telecommunications Management so I'm a daydreaming project manager in the daytime and get busy when I get home. 



How did Lily and Eve come to be?

Lily and Eve consists of 3 sisters. We grew up in the States so this is our way of appreciating and holding on to our identity and culture. The style of jewelry is inspired by the indigenous tribes of the Southern Philippines with their beading and bright colors. The cloth we use for the oversized clutch purses are traditional tribal clothing. When a friend or relative comes to visit, we always request accessories only because it's nothing that's available here. Every time we wear the accessories we always get compliments. We were lounging in South Beach when we realized maybe we should stop hording all these goodness for ourselves and open it for everyone. 




When did you realize you wanted to become a jewelry designer? 

I wanted something more than what is being offered. I usually dress in monotone and what a fun way to stand out by accessorizing in bold colors and pieces.





What is your favorite part about being a jewelrydesigner? What is your least favorite part about being a designer?

My favorite part is coming up with unexpected colors to come together and/or designing something that I'm not such a big fan of but everyone loves or designing something that I really like but not everyone feels it - It plays with my emotions sometimes. It makes me wonder if I have bad taste?? My least favorite part is when a design just doesn't work! I recently tried to make these beaded French knot stud earrings and they were just too heavy. I have to find another way to make it work. It's frustrating but I have to find another way.



What was the first article of jewelry you ever designed?

The first ever accessory I created were these bangles made of twigs. Some where braided others were intertwined all were secured using twist ties from the grocery store. I thought I was so cool. I even painted them gold. 




What do you like best about designing jewelry? 

I don't consider myself a jewelry designer, I'd like to expand and say I'm an accessories designer. The best part of being an accessories designer is having successful "accidents". I say accident because I also sew purses. These purses were an afterthought - not part of the plan at all! I decided to make them to add variety to the line. The Lily and Eve oversized clutch purses are our most popular item. 




What advice would you give any budding designers? 

Be consistent and determined - business is slow when you first start but don't give up! Set goals - it doesn't have to be huge goals but make sure you work towards that goal. Last year, we set a goal to do 1 show a month. Not only did we reach that goal but we superseded it averaging 3 shows a month. It was TIRING but definitely fulfilling. Most of all, don't forget to have fun - it's all about balance.



How has the art world influenced the Lily and Evebrand?

Art, to me, plays on feelings and emotions. I especially like Roy Lichtenstein because his work challenges "tradition". I also like the surrealist painter Salvador Dali. Both of their works are bold, thoughtful, and memorable. Those are the qualities I want to exude with the Lily and Eve brand. 




Describe the Lily and Eve woman?

Lily and Eve is an ode to my grandmothers so it should be fitting to say that the Lily and Eve woman embraces her roots. She radiates style and grace. She is fearless who stands up for what she believes in and looking good while doing so. 


If you had the chance to dress *anyone* who would it be.. who do you think is the most stylish person around?

Hands down, the awesome Iris Apfel -SERIOUS heart eyes! I love how she does not conform at all. I love how she puts everything on but still looks cohesive. I can go on and on -  I really admire this woman's fashion and style!





Where do you see Lily and Eve in 10 years?

I would love for Lily and Eve to get the recognition as a respected company not just for jewelry but an accessories house with a women's and men's line. 


What does fashion mean to you?

Our company motto is Believe in Bold so fashion, to me, is about emotion and having the confidence to stand out and express yourself. 


I would like to thank the creators at Lily and Eve for the interview
You can check out the entire Lily and Eve line at http://www.lilyandeve.net/

(All photos courtesy of Lily and Eve)

Comments