Heavy on Fashion talks to Head designer of Cindy and Johnny - Saba Juneja

Hello all my fashion divas and gurus! I am so happy to bring you another exclusive interview with a great independent fashion designer.  Saba Juneja is the head designer of the fashion collection Cindy + Johnny. Cindy + Johnny started in March 2013 under Saba Juneja direction. Cindy + Johnny is a great comtemporary line filled with classic pieces. Cindy + Johnny is all about fashion and not trends. 

Without further ado, Here is Heavy on Fashion talks to Cindy + Johnny!




photo courtesy of Cindy and Johnny


How did Cindy and Johnny come to be?

Saba Juneja: Kim Yu, the President & Founder of the company, has done private label manufacturing for years and always wanted to create an in-house label to reflect our design sensibility and quality standards. The names Cindy and Johnny are actually his children’s names.



When did you realize you wanted to become a fashion designer?

Saba Juneja: I was always interested in fashion and sewing when I was growing up but I didn’t think I would ever be able to actually become a designer, because my parents and teachers always suggested more stable careers. I was always a good student but I never cared about any of my academic subjects. Then I went to a two week pre-college program in high school where I got a small taste of what designing a collection would entail. It was the first time that I really enjoyed all the hard work that was required for a good result, and that’s when I decided that fashion design was for me.





What was the first article of clothing you ever designed?

Saba Juneja: I’ve been sketching and making clothes since I was a little kid, so the first piece I remember designing was this pink wrap dress that I hand sewed from some leftover fabric of my moms. I’m sure it was terrible but my parents told me it looked great!


How long have you worked as a designer?

Saba Juneja: I graduated from Parsons the New School for Design in 2008, and I’ve been working as a designer ever since! I’ve had various roles at small and large companies, but Cindy + Johnny is the first position I’ve had where all the design responsibility was mine.


photo courtesy of Cindy and Johnny 


Describe the Cindy and Johnny woman?

Saba Juneja: The Cindy + Johnny woman is sophisticated and fashionable, but doesn’t get too stuck in following trends. She’s smart and ambitious but still has a busy social life. I want the line to have a range of options so she has casual pieces for the weekend, smart pieces for work, and dressy pieces for parties.

What makes Cindy and Johnny different from other womenswear lines?

Saba Juneja: I try to make sure our collections aren’t so trend heavy that you look dated within a year. We spend a LOT of time reviewing fabrics and going through fittings to make sure that our garments have a level of quality that will last our customers for years. Of course you can find high quality clothing in the luxury designer market, but it’s not easy to find at our contemporary price point.




What are your favorite colors to work with and why?

Saba Juneja: I love working with really bright, saturated colors, which is funny because I all I wear is black and grey! But I’m trying to branch out, and I’m definitely looking forward to wearing some of our bold Spring & Summer colors once the weather warms up.

Where can readers find out more about you and your work?

Saba Juneja: They can follow us on social media and see all kinds of behind-the-scenes work. Our Pinterest is full of print designs, fashion editorials, and street style that I use as inspiration to develop upcoming collections. Our Instagram shows my steps as the designer in developing each season. And of course, we have tons of great photos and promotions we post to our Facebook and Twitter!


photo courtesy of Cindy and Johnny 


Who do you think is the most stylish person around?


Saba Juneja: Tilda Swinton comes to mind whenever I think about true style, because she is always true to her own nature and isn’t afraid to be bold and expressive in her fashion choices. Great style always reflects confidence and I think she is a prime example of that.


If they had the chance to dress anyone who would it be?

Saba Juneja: I would love to dress Dakota and Elle Fanning. Both actors have so much talent and style, and I think they would be a perfect representation of the Cindy + Johnny woman. They seem to have maturity uncommon to their ages, but they come across as so youthful and fresh! That balance would perfectly mirror the design sensibility we have at Cindy + Johnny.


photo courtesy of Cindy and Johnny 



What do you hope to have achieved in the industry, 10 years from now?


Saba Juneja: I hope to continue growing the Cindy + Johnny brand and also develop some side projects of my own personal work.




Finally, what does fashion mean to you?

Saba Juneja: Fashion to me is really just a form of expression. It’s using your clothes to convey something about yourself, an emotion or a character. Design is so subjective and personal that anyone can take a garment and interpret it in different ways to represent themselves.

I would like to thank Head designer of Cindy and Johnny - Saba Juneja and the lovelies at Cindy and Johnny. 

Please be sure to check out all that Cindy and Johnny has to offer at 
Cindy and Johnny - http://www.cindyjohnny.com/
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/CindyJohnnyNY
Twitter - https://twitter.com/CindyJohnnySHOP
Instagram - http://instagram.com/cindyjohnnyshop



Comments