Heavy on Fashion Talks to Melissa Borrell



Hello all my fashion divas and gurus! Today I am bringing you a great interview with Jewelry designer, Melissa Borrell. Melissa Borrell Design is a great mixure of art and design.  Pop-Out Jewelry, 3D print out jewelry, and Topography Jewelry collections from Melissa Borrell design are innovative and creative. Melissa's work is wearble art and I must know how this line came to be. 

So without further ado 
Here is Heavy on Fashion Talks to Melissa Borrell!








Heavy on Fashion: When did you realize you wanted to become a jewelry designer? 

Melissa Borrell: I fell in love with jewelry making when I worked in a bead store in Boston after I graduated from college. I started selling my designs to galleries right away.  I was so excited about it that I would wake up in the middle of the night with ideas for new pieces.

Heavy on Fashion: What was the first piece of jewelry you ever designed? 

Melissa Borrell: The first piece was called the Orbit Necklace.  I made my own beads from wire and combined them with colorful glass beads. (image attached). 




 Heavy on Fashion: Explain the technique behind Topography Jewelry, Pop Out jewelry, and 3-D printed jewelry. 
Melissa Borrell: Topography Jewelry is made by soldering chain together at certain points so that it creates a "drawing" on the body.  After the piece is completed I oxidize the metal to turn the metal black.  

The shapes for the Pop-Out Jewelry collection come directly from drawings that I make.  I scan the drawings to the computer so that they can be transferred directly onto the metal. The final pieces are exact replications of the hand drawn shapes.  

3-D Printed Jewelry is drawn on the computer and then output in nylon by a 3D printer.  On some of the pieces I then add metal accents to highlight the sculptural elements of the design much like gemstones are set in traditional jewelry. 


Heavy on Fashion: 
How long does it usually take you to construct a piece? It really varies from piece to piece. 

Melissa Borrell: For many of my pieces it takes more time to make decisions and figure out how to make a piece than it takes to actually construct it and other are much more time intensive like the Topography Necklace which takes hours of very detailed soldering.








Heavy on Fashion: 
What are some of your proudest accomplishments as a designer?  

Melissa Borrell: I was very honored to have my designs chosen to be sold at the Museum of Modern Art design store in New York and Tokyo. 

Heavy on Fashion: 
What do you hope to have achieved in the industry, 10 years from now?  

Melissa Borrell: I hope to have  pushed the boundaries of what people will wear! 

Heavy on Fashion: 
Who are some of your favorite designers? 

Melissa Borrell: I love Issey Miyake - his technology driven design is a constant inspiration to me.




Heavy on Fashion: 
Where can readers buy your jewelry? 

Melissa Borrell: www.melissaborrell.com 

Heavy on Fashion: 
What advice do you have for aspiring designers?  

Melissa Borrell: Recognize what your talents are and push yourself as far as you can creatively.  Also, ask for help -- know your weaknesses and don't be afraid to work with others if you can't achieve your vision on your own.  

Heavy on Fashion: 
Finally, what does fashion mean to you?  

Melissa Borrell: Fashion is about expressing yourself and your individuality.  I love the fact that my pieces look different on everyone and show off each person's unique beauty.  



Check out more from Melissa Borrell Design at 
http://www.melissaborrell.com/

Comments