Heavy on Fashion talks to Joan Goodman (Creator of PONO Jewelry)






Hello all my fashion divas and gurus! I am so happy to be back from my vacation to bring you an exclusive interview with Joan Goodman, Creator of PONO Jewelry. I had the chance to check out the PONO showroom earlier in the summer in NYC and I fell in love with the entire line. So without further ado, here is Heavy on Fashion Talks to Joan Goodman!

PONO, a Hawaiian word for “goodness” in all its forms, is a jewelry brand that works with the intention of being anchored, expressive and illuminating not just in its finished works but in its design, manufacturing and business practices as well. The PONO Jewelry collection is designed by Joan in New York and Italy.  PONO reflects Joan’s life experiences: mixing the exotica of Hawaii, Italian sophistication, NYC urban chic and a love of nature and the planet. 

Joan’s expert knowledge of these materials comes from years as president and creative director of Bobbi Trim Ltd., a New York City button company. These buttons are designed for many of today’s most talented clothing designers including; Carolina Hererra, Prabal Gurang, Proenza Schouler, Anna Sui, Nanette Lepore, Marc Jacobs, Trina Turk and Thakoon to name a few.







Heavy on Fashion: Tell me a little bit about yourself. Where are you from? What's your educational background?

Joan Goodman: I was born in New York City, and I lived in the Bronx until I was 11 when I moved to Long Beach. I have always had the NYC/beach thing in my cells. As far as education, I was lucky; I have had millions of teachers.

Heavy on Fashion: What other experience do you have in the fashion industry? What led you to beginning to work with jewelry?

Joan Goodman: Bobbi Trim Ltd, my button company which I have had for 33 years. Designing and selling buttons to clothing manufacturers. I felt the need to do something new, and jewelry was a natural progression. We make all of PONO with 2 of our best Italian button factories.

Heavy on Fashion: Let's talk about the PONO Fall 2013 collection. What was your inspiration behind the Fall 2013 collection?

Joan Goodman: I was inspired by all things dark, rich, and luxurious. There is a deep richness to every color. Jewel tones, the aurora borealis, the night ski, and the Arctic Circle are other inspirations behind the collection.




Heavy on Fashion: What is your favorite piece in the Fall 2013 collection?


Joan Goodman: The Antonia Necklace in matte crazy...it's perfect!


Heavy on Fashion: Describe the general design process you go through to design and realize a piece of PONO jewelry.

Joan Goodman: There is no general process. Many times things pop in my head so quickly I need to deal with them immediately. Other times I have a vision while working in the factory with materials, colors, and shapes, and it takes days for the design to unfold.


Heavy on Fashion: What do you love most about designing and creating your own jewelry?

Joan Goodman: My time spent in Italy and working with color...color is my most favorite thing!





Heavy on Fashion: Where do you get your inspiration?

Joan Goodman: Inspiration comes through my travels every day. It could be anything...a pair of boots someone is wearing, a bird flying by, the light reflecting off a building...anything.

Heavy on Fashion: How would you define the style your line exemplifies?


Joan Goodman: PONO is classic with a twist of Italy, Hawaii and New York City.

Heavy on Fashion: What advice would you give to aspiring jewelry designers?

Joan Goodman:Follow your heart...do not be afraid to try to live your dream.

Heavy on Fashion: Finally, what does fashion mean to you?

Joan Goodman: I appreciate the quality and craftsmanship of fashion. I love the artistic and creative process that goes into design. I especially love Hermes and Dries Van Noten. Shoe and boots are my favorite part of fashion.

You can check out PONO jewelry online store at http://www.ponoannex.com/
and 
Show PONO jewelry some love on Twitter at 
https://twitter.com/PONOjsg


Until Next time! 
Live, Style, Write
Malanb



Comments