Heavy on Fashion Talks to Bridgett Artise

Hello all my fashion divas and gurus! I love fashion entrepreneurs especially when they are helping the planet. I am so happy to bring you a exclusive Fashion designer, Teacher, Author, and boutique owner Bridgett Artise. Bridgett Artise, an F.I.T. graduate, is best known as the up-and-coming fashion designer behind the indie label Born Again Vintage and connoisseur of all things sustainable.  Her fabulous sense of style and strong eye for design has enabled her to create recycled clothing looks that are both unique and award winning.  Bridgett, along with Jen Karetnick, co-authored the book Born Again Vintage: 25 Ways to Deconstruct, Reinvent and Recycle Your Wardrobe (Random House 2008) and recently opened a boutique in Montclair, NJ by the same name. 
Here is Heavy on Fashion Talks to Bridgett Artise!








Heavy on Fashion:Tell me a little about yourself. Where are you from? What's your educational background? What are your general professional and non-professional interests?

Bridgett Artise: I am from Teaneck NJ, jersey girl through and through. I've always wanted to be different fashion wise and was dubbed the Lisa Bonet of my group in high school. I went to university of Maryland and was a bit lost and one of my friends at school mentioned transferring to FIT and I copied her basically. I majored in buying and merchandising and graduated and enjoyed being a buyer very much. Took some time off to be a mom and had an itch to create but wasn't quite sure what so I made gift baskets one year, tree toppers the next and finally stopped at t-shirts. T-shirts turned into chopping up vintage and I haven't looked back.
I've always enjoyed writing and reading and movies, I love movies.


Heavy on Fashion:What does fashion mean to you?

Bridgett Artise: Fashion is an individual definition. What I may deem fashionable may be ridiculous to someone else.  So ultimately fashion is knowing who you are and being able to express it through your wardrobe.

Heavy on Fashion:When did you realize you wanted to become a fashion designer?

Bridgett Artise: I think I became a fashion designer before I realized I wanted to be one. Me designing clothing for children for a talent show I produced was a time filler not intentional. The response I received sparked the interest to pursue it and I never looked back so not sure if I ever realized it.


Heavy on Fashion: What are some of your favorite clothing stores/catalogs/websites?

Bridgett Artise: I have not been to a mall in several years, I shop at thrift stores only. To say my favorite store is Salvation Army is actually funny but it is most certainly my favorite. Anytime I out of town the first thing I do is search the closest Salvation Army.

Heavy on Fashion:How do you prepare for a fashion shoot or show?

Bridgett Artise: With both I feel like sky's the limit. I'm not confined to a customer order or even a marketable look. I can design at my leisure so whatever I have been thinking about doing or whatever I might have been itching to try comes out in my photo shoots and/or fashion shows.


Heavy on Fashion: What do you believe makes a quality article of clothing?

 Bridgett Artise: Details. The main reason I love vintage are the details. It's not a garment that didn't have thought put into it. From the lining to the buttons to the hem, everything is meticulous. We do not have that today, at least in non designer retail.

Bridget Artise with Jerseylicious Glam Fairy cast. Photo courtesy of Timothy Ivy

Heavy on Fashion: How would you define the style your line exemplifies?

Bridgett Artise: My line encompasses the best of both worlds. New and old. The elegance, sophistication and quality of the yesteryear together with the funky and urban chic of today.

Heavy on Fashion: Where do you get your inspiration?

 Bridgett Artise: I'm mainly inspired by prints and textiles. I see a fabulous vintage piece and its loud bold print or its luxurious textile and I immediately want to create something from it.


Heavy on Fashion: What are your favorite patterns [prints] to work with and why?

Bridgett Artise: I adore houndstooth, it's so classic and elegant. I think mostly anyone can get away with a houndstooth print. I could wear it head to toe and still think its not overboard.

Heavy on Fashion: Where can readers find out more about you and your work?

Bridgett Artise: The first place to find me would be my website. www.b-Artise.com, then my Facebook page Born Again Vintage. I also recently opened Born Again Vintage 'The Collective' boutique in Montclair, NJ. My site has information on how to purchase, where my store is located and how to sign up for my workshops. My Facebook page give more real time events where I'm showcasing or my FIT schedule, etc.
Being Substainable is always fashionable my divas and gurus! 
Live, Style, Write
Malanb

Comments

Popular Posts