Heavy on Fashion Talks to Daniel Dunt of TS New York



Hey all my fashion divas and gurus! I am happy to interview a great blogger Daniel Dunt of That's So New York That’s so New York talks about great activities and trends of the fashion world and emerging creative designers. Lets get to know more about That's so New York and Daniel Dunt!




Hello Daniel, Thank you for agree to the interview. Why did you initially decide to start your blog That’s so New York?

D.D: It’s all Ugly Betty’s fault really. She had one, and I wanted one!

Where did the name That’s so New York come from? What is the mission of That’s so New York in the Fashion Industry?

D.D: It was actually my brother that thought of the name whilst he was home from university for the
summer. I thought it was catchy, and from then onward, I simply went with it.

In regards to the concept behind my blog, I like to post about independent and emerging, creative
talent predominately. I feel that the fashion industry can, at times, be very commercial. People do
not pay enough attention to new talent, and that’s where I come in. I want to give new talent a
place where they can be seen and, although one blog isn’t going to give them the recognition they
deserve, I think it’s a step in the right direction.

You accomplished a lot as a young blogger with 12,000 likes on the That's so New York Facebook page, over 4000 followers on your Twitter page and over 620 followers on Bloglovin'. What advice would you give an inspiring fashion writer/blogger to reach the next level?

D.D: If I’m totally honest, I’m not exactly the advice giving sort. Everyone has their own approach to
blogging and, as I’m still a newbie, I’m not really in a position where I would advise people to listen
to what I have to say as far as ‘reaching the next level’ goes. All I would say is that you should be
yourself. Blog about what you believe in, and there will be people out there who want to read and
follow your content. Build relationships, take every opportunity that comes your way and simply go
with the flow. Blogging is supposed to be fun, and you have to give yourself a chance to enjoy it!

What would you consider the biggest challenge in being a fashion writer/blogger?

D.D: It would have to be time management. I’m currently juggling so many projects, and it’s been
incredibly difficult, especially with college 5 days a week. On average, I sleep approximately 5 hours
each night. It’s not exactly healthy, but it gets the job done!

Do you consider yourself a fashion blogger or a fashion writer? Is there a difference?

D.D: Well, I always refer to myself as a fashion blogger, so I assume that’s what I am. I think that fashion writers have a much more in-depth knowledge of the industry, and they’re much better at writing. I would ideally like to write for a magazine one day, and perhaps that’s when I’ll make the transition from fashion blogger to fashion writer. Until then, it’s blogging all the way!

Who is your biggest inspiration in your life?

D.D: I take inspiration from an array of sources. In terms of people, I would have to say that the beliefs of vocalists like Marina Diamandis have been very inspirational. She’s my idol, and speaks a lot of truth. I also take inspiration from successful bloggers like Susanna Lau and Jennine Jacob. They’ve done so well for themselves, and I like to think that I’m capable of doing the same, eventually.

I noticed that on That’s so New York you feature your favorite music tracks. How does music
influence your writing?

D.D:  If I’m listening to music, and its music that I enjoy listening to, it always puts me in an upbeat mood. If I’ve been listening to music, I might sound a little more bubbly than usual. It doesn’t have a
significant effect on my writing, but music is something I really enjoy.

We all know that you love fashion. What else do you love?

D.D:  I’m a big fan of music, photography and modern art. I’m really interested in pop culture, surrealism and futurism. I also find history really interesting, although I wasn’t very good at it at school. I find the Jurassic period really interesting, alongside archaeology and Greek mythology. I also find space really interesting. I watch a lot of documentaries, and I’m now hooked on the stuff. Film and
independent film in particular is also something I really enjoy!

Where do you see That’s so New York in 5 years?

D.D: Ideally, I’d love for That’s so New York to be a popular source for individuals who are looking to
discover independent and emerging, creative talent. I’d also like to introduce outfit posts to the
blog, but I’m currently working on my overall image, as I’m not entirely comfortable with how I
look at the moment. I’d also like to introduce some street style photography to the blog, and that’s
something I’m currently working on. I’m all about building relationships, and hopefully over the
course of the next 5 years I’ll be able to work with some exciting designers and brands.

I would like to thank Daniel Dunt of  That's So New York for the interview. 
Make sure you check out his blog at http://www.tsnewyork.com/
Make sure you check out That's So New York at https://twitter.com/tsnewyorkblog

Comments

Popular Posts